Home      Syro Malankara
 Syro Malankara Church

The mission of the Apostles and their successors planted the Church of Christ at various places. In divine providence (LG 23), the Indian Church was blessed to have an apostolic foundation in 52 AD through the evangelisation mission of St. Thomas, one of the twelve Apostles of Jesus Christ. This Apostolic Church was in Catholic Communion from the early centuries. It came in contact with the Syro-Chaldean Church of the Middle East and consequently adopted the East Syrian Liturgy.

In the 16 century, this Apostolic Church came into direct relationship with the Western Church through the Portuguese missionaries. The Portuguese extended the Padroado agreement in their evangelization programme over India and wanted to bring the Indian Church of the St. Thomas Christians under this jurisdiction. The Church in India which was rooted in the socio-cultural environment and which enjoyed autonomy in internal administration in communion with the Universal Church resisted the unwanted intervention of the Portuguese who brought with them the Western ecclesiastical traditions. The Portuguese missionaries, ignorant of the Oriental traditions of the Indian Church, had the conviction that anything different from the Western Church was schism and heresy. Hence they wanted to latinize the Syrian Christians of India.

In 1599 Bishop Franciz Roz (1599-1624) convoked a Synod at Diamper and imposed latinization on the Apostolic Church of India. This was a blow to the identity of the Indian Church. However, the relation continued till the beginning of the second half of the seventeenth century. The Church of St.Thomas Christians could not withstand any more the denial of her autonomy. The initial resistance slowly gave way to discontentment, which ended up with the revolt in 1653 known as the Koonan Cross Oath. Thus, the one Church of the St.Thomas Christians was split into two. A large majority of the broken-away-group hesitated to sever ties with Rome and they remained in communion with Rome, but, under the Latin Hierarchy. This group came to be called the Pazhayakûttukar, while the other was known as Puthenkûttukar. The latter group made several attempts to come in communion with Rome safeguarding their autonomy and ritual patrimony. Failing to re-establish communion with Rome, they happened to come in communion with the Jacobite Syrian Church of Antioch. These developments were not acts against the Apostolic See of Rome but against the Portuguese missionaries and their policy of latinization. Even after the communion with the Jacobite See of Antioch, the Malankara Prelates Mar Thomas I (+1670), Mar Thomas II (+1686), Mar Thomas III (+1688), Mar Thomas IV (+1728), Mar Thomas V (+1765), Mar Thomas VI (+1808) and Mar Thomas VII (+1815) one after the other had attempted reunion with the Holy See, but all ended up in failure.

The Puthenkûr community came under the influence of the British missionaries in the 19th century. From 1815 till 1836, the year of the Synod of Mavelikara, the British missionaries propagated Protestant ideology among the Puthenkûttukar. This paved the way to the formation of the Mar Thoma Church under the leadership of Palakunnath Abraham Malpan and Mar Athanasios, who was consecrated Bishop by the Patriarch of Antioch. In order to outdo the reformists Mar Divannasios approached the Patriarch of Antioch. Patriarch Peter III arrived in Malankara and in the Synod of Mulanthuruthy (1876) the Malankara Church had to accept the authority of the Patriarch of Antioch over her. Since then, the Malankara Church had contented that the Patriarch’s authority was only in spiritual matters.

It was in this contentious context that Patriarch Mar Abdulla who came to Malankara, excommunicated Vattasseril Mar Divannasios in the year 1911. In this turbulent situation Fr. P.T. Geevarghese (later Archbishop Mar Ivanios) played a vital role in reinstating the postion of the excommunicated Metropolitan and in regaining the self-governance of the Malankara Church. To ward off the undue interference of Patriarch Abdulla in the administration of the temporalities of the Church, Fr. P.T. Varghese with the blessing of Vattasseril Mar Divannasios contacted Abded M’siha, the Patriarch of Antioch from whom Mar Abdulla usurped the Patriarchal See of Antioch, and invited him to visit Malankara and to establish a Catholicate here. Accordingly, Abded M’siha came to Malankara in 1912 and established the Malankara Catholicate. Thus the Malankara Orthodox Church in India became an autonomous Church under its head the Catholicos. Moran Mor Baselios Paulos I (1912-1913), the first Catholicos, was called to eternal rest after a short period of five months on 13 May 1913.

After the demise of Moran Mor Baselios Paulos I, the See remained vacant until 1925. That was a period of litigations in the Malankara Church; and also a period of spiritual renewal. The litigation for Vattippanam (a fixed deposit of money in the name of the Church) and its after-effects in the community was at its zenith. Fr. P.T. Geevarghese who loved his Church was moved by the Spirit of God. He realised that only a spiritual awakening of the Church would give a lasting solution to the problems of the Church. He himself took to sanyâsa and founded the Order of the Imitation of Christ also called Bethany Ashram in the year 1919. The first Ashram was erected at Mundanmala of Ranni Perunad. In 1925 he founded the community of the Sanyasins, the Sisters of the Imitation of Christ also called Bethany Madhom. From these two religious communities winds of spiritual fervour and renaissance blew across Malankara. By a decision of the Episcopal Synod, on 30 April 1925 Moran Mor Baselios Geevarghese I was installed as Catholicos. On the following day, the Catholicos consecrated Fr. P. T. Geevarghese under the name Mar Ivanios as the Bishop of Bethany.

On 1 November 1926, the Episcopal Synod held at Parumala near Tiruvalla, Kerala, decided to open negotiations again with Rome for communion with the Catholic Church in order to establish peace in Malankara. The Synod authorised Mar Ivanios, the then Bishop of Bethany, to make necessary correspondence with Rome regarding communion. He earnestly followed up the mandate of the Synod.

The Second Catholicos expired on 17 December 1928. Moran Mor Baselios Geevarghese I succeeded the late Catholicos. On the day following his installation, he consecrated Mar Theophilos of Bethany and Mar Gregorios of Pampady as Bishops. In the meantime, the civil court’s decision on the litigation for Vattipanam was declared in favour of the Malankara Orthodox Church. This was a civil legal backing up for the Church and the Bishops of the Malankara Orthodox Church stepped out from the endeavours of communion with Rome.

After prolonged negotiations, the plenary session of the Sacred Congregation for the Oriental Churches, which met on 4 July 1930, took the final decision on the issue of the communion of the Malankara Church. But only Mar Ivanios the Metropolitan of Bethany and his suffragan Mar Theophilos stood by the early decision of the Synod. Mar Ivanios and Mar Theophilos along with Rev. Fr. John Kuzhimepurath OIC, Deacon Alexander OIC and Mr. Chacko Kilileth made their profession of faith before Bishop Benziger OCD of the Diocese of Quilon and entered into full communion with the Catholic Church on 20 September 1930.

As the Reunion Movement gained momentum, Pope Pius XI through the Apostolic Constitution Christo Pastorum Principi of 11 June 1932, established the Syro-Malankara Hierarchy for the reunited community and erected the Archieparchy of Trivandrum with the Eparchy of Tiruvalla as its suffragan. Thus, the Malankara Church re-entered into the hierarchical communion with the Catholic Church. The Metropolitan Eparchy of Trivandrum was inaugurated on 11 May 1933 and His Grace Mar Ivanios was enthroned as its first Metropolitan- Archbishop. The Eparchy of Tiruvalla was inaugurated on 6 November 1933 and Most Rev. Jacob Mar Theophilos was enthroned as its first Bishop.

The reunion of Archbishop Mar Ivanios with the Catholic Church was a historical event in the whole Church, which inspired many of the Malankarites including the Bishops of the Orthodox Church. On 29 November 1937, Most Rev. Joseph Mar Severios of the Orthodox Church reunited with the Catholic Church. Later, Most Rev. Thomas Mar Dioscoros, the Metropolitan of the Knanaya Jacobite Church, reunited with the Catholic Church on 12 November 1939.

In God’s providence, the Syro-Malankara Catholic Church engaged in her double mission of communion of the Malankara Orthodox Church and evangelisation. The Church began to increase in number. With the blessing of Archbishop Mar Ivanios, Monsignor Joseph Kuzhinjalil founded the missionary congregation of the Daughters of Mary in 1938 at Marthandom in Kanyakumari District. Thus the mission of the Malankara Catholic Church spread to the southern regions of Kerala and Tamil Nadu also.

On 21 February 1943 Bishop Mar Dioscoros slept in the Lord. Mar Ivanios worked relentlessly for the building up of the Malankara Catholic Church. Through his travels abroad to Rome, other European countries, America and Australia, he spread the message of ecclesial communion and the awareness of the mission of the Malankara Catholic Church in the Universal Church. After a period of 22 years of strenuous hectic task of organizing and administering the Malankara Catholic Church he fell ill for more than a year. Nevertheless, he consecrated Benedict Mar Gregorios as his Auxiliary on 29 January 1953. Archbishop Mar Ivanios slept in the hands of the Lord on 15 July 1953.

The Eparchy of Tiruvalla was also making strides in its growth and development under the leadership of Jacob Mar Theophilos and Joseph Mar Severios. Mar Severios was the Administrator of the Eparchy until1950 due to the ill-health of Mar Theophilos. In 1950 he was appointed as the Bishop of Tiruvalla. He was also invested with the title ‘Archbishop’. He was called to eternal rest on 18 January 1955.

On 27 January 1955 Most Rev. Benedict Mar Gregorios was enthroned as the Metropolitan-Archbishop of Trivandrum and the Head of the Syro-Malankara Catholic Church. Under his able pastoral guidance and social commitment, the Church began to flourish in its multidimensional growth and development.

The Holy See appointed Zacharias Mar Athanasios as successor of Mar Severios, whose consecration took place on 22 April 1954. His Excellency Most Rev. Jacob Mar Theophilos was called to eternal rest on 27 June 1956.

Attracted by the Liturgy of the Malankara Church, Fr. Francis Acharya, a Cistercian Monk came to the Eparchy of Tiruvalla. In the year 1957 he founded in the Malankara Catholic Church, the Kristiya Sanyasa Samaj (KSS), commonly called Kurisumala Ashram in the high ranges of Vagamon.

The Malankara Catholic Church has been steadily growing and spreading throughout all the States in South India. On 14 February 1958 the territorial boundaries of the Eparchy of Tiruvalla was extended to the north including the Malabar region of Kerala, the civil districts of Coimbatore and Nilgiris and Karoor Taluk in Tiruchirappally District of Tamil Nadu and districts of Mysore, Mandya, Coorg, Hasan, Chickamangalore, Shimoga and South Kanara of Karnataka State. On 28 September 1977 Mar Athanasios entered into eternal rest.

His Excellency Most Rev. Paulos Mar Philoxenos, the Metropolitan of the Malabar Independent Church, was received into the Syro-Malankara Catholic Church on 28 August 1977.

The appointment of Isaac Mar Yoohanon as Bishop of Tiruvalla and erection of the Eparchy of Bathery with the appointment of Cyril Mar Baselios as its first Bishop through the decree of the Holy See took place on 28 October 1978. Both the prelates were consecrated on 28 December 1978. The Eparchy of Bathery was officially inaugurated on 2 February 1978. On 15 May 1979 the Eparchial contemplative monastery, Dhyana Ashram, was founded in the Eparchy of Bathery by Fr. Silvester Kozhimannil.

The Golden Jubilee of the Reunion Movement of the Syro-Malankara Catholic Church was celebrated in Kottayam on 26, 27 & 28 December 1980. His Excellency Lawrence Mar Ephrem was consecrated Bishop on 27 December 1980. His Eminence Wladyslaw Cardinal Rubin, the then Prefect of the Congregation for the Oriental Churches was the Papal Delegate for the Jubilee. Other eminent participants included His Beatitude Maximos V Hakim, the Patriarch of Antioch and all the East of Alexandria and Jerusalem, His Excellency Most Rev. Luciano Storero, the then Apostolic Pro-Nuncio to India and Mother Teresa of Culcutta.

A significant development of this period is the organisation of the Malankara Catholic Faithful in India, outside the canonical territorial boundaries of the Church. From being organized as Malankara Catholic Associations, the communities of our faithful living in the Metropolitan cities of India came to be erected as personal parish communities. With the appointment of Rev. Dr. John Berchmans OIC as the Co-Ordinator of the Malankara Catholic Communities in the Extra-territorial regions in India by the Council of Hierarchs of the Malankara Catholic Church, the ecclesial life of these parish communities was coordinated.

It was the long cherished dream of the Malankara Catholic Church to have a Major seminary of its own for the formation of its clergy. St. Mary’s Malankara Major Seminary was inaugurated at Pattom on 29 June 1983 and the new building at Nalanchira, Trivandrum was blessed on 25 May 1989.

The Malankara Catholic Church was fortunate to welcome His Holiness Pope John Paul II on 8 February 1986 at St. Mary’s Cathedral, Pattom, Trivandrum. The Holy Father, in his speech at Shankhumukam, praised the founder of the Reunion Movement and expressed his high appreciation of the work and witness of the Syro-Malankara Church.

On 28 April 1987 His Excellency Mar Yoohanon, the Bishop of Tiruvalla slept in the Lord.

Following the visit His Holiness Pope John Paul II, His Eminence Cardinal Lourdusamy, the then Prefect of the Congregation for the Oriental Churches, visited the Malankara Catholic Church on 18 and 19 August 1987.

His Excellency Geevarghese Mar Timotheos succeeded Mar Yoohanon as the Bishop of Tiruvalla. He was consecrated Bishop on 6 August 1988.

His Grace, Metropolitan-Archbishop Mar Gregorios was called to eternal rest on 10 October 1994 after an eventful service of 41 years. Most Rev. Cyril Mar Baselios, the Bishop of Bathery having been appointed by His Holiness Pope John Paul II, was enthroned as Metropolitan-Archbishop of Trivandrum and as the head of the Malankara Church on 14 December 1995. His Excellency Geevarghese Mar Divannasios was consecrated Bishop of Bathery in the place of Cyril Mar Baselios on 5 February 1996.

His Eminence Achille Cardinal Silvestrini, Prefect of the Congregation for the Oriental Churches, visited the Malankara Catholic Church on 11, 12, 13 February 1996.

On the request of His Grace Most Rev. Cyril Mar Baselios, by an Apostolic Bull dated 16 December 1996, His Holiness Pope John Paul II erected the Eparchy of Marthandom bifurcating the Metropolitan Eparchy of Trivandrum. Most Rev. Lawrence Mar Ephrem was appointed as its first Bishop. God called him to himself after a few months of his enthronement as Bishop of Marthandom, on 8 April 1997.

In the mean time the Eparchy of Tiruvalla was blessed with an Auxiliary Bishop in the person of Most Rev. Thomas Mar Koorilos who was consecrated Bishop on 17 July 1997. On 29 June 1998 Most Rev. Yoohanon Mar Chrysostom was consecrated as the Bishop of Mathandom and Joshua Mar Ignathios as the Auxiliary Bishop for the Metropolitan Eparchy of Trivandrum. His Excellency Paulos Mar Philoxenos passed away on 3 November 1998.

Christu Jayanthi Maha Jubilee and the Sapthathy of the Re-union Movement of the Syro-Malankara Catholic Church were celebrated jointly at Tiruvalla on 26, 27, 28 December 2000. His Beatitude Ignace Moussa Daoud, the Prefect of the Congregation for the Oriental Churches was the Papal Delegate for the Celebration.

A significant development in this period has been the establishment of parishes for the faithful of the Syro-Malankara Catholic Church in the United States of America. The Holy Father John Paul II nominated the Proto Syncellus of Bathery Very Rev. Fr. Isaac Thottunkal, as Apostolic Visitor and the Auxiliary Bishop of Trivandrum on 18 June 2001 for the Syro-Malankarites residing in North America and Europe. He was consecrated on 15 August 2001 at Tirumoolapuram, (Tiruvalla) and he assumed the name Isaac Mar Cleemis.

Bifurcating the Eparchy of Tiruvalla, the Eparchy of Muvattupuzha was erected on 15 January 2003 and The Most Rev. Thomas Mar Koorilos was appointed as its first Bishop.

On 29 March 2003 Bishop Mar Timotheos gave resignation to the Holy See due to super-annuation and the Holy See appointed Isaac Mar Cleemis, the Apostolic Visitor to Europe and America, as the Bishop of Tiruvalla. His Excellency Mar Cleemis took charge of the Diocese on 2 October 2003. On January 5, 2005 Most Rev. Joseph Mar Thomas was appointed as the Auxiliary Bishop of Trivandrum and Apostolic Visitor to North America and Europe.

10 February 2005 is a day that is engraved in golden letters in the history of the Malankara Church. The Syro-Malankara Catholic Church was raised to the status of a Major Archiepiscopal Church on that day. His Grace Pedro Lopez Quintana, the Apostolic Nuncio in India read the official declaration at St. Mary’s Metropolitan Cathedral, Trivandrum. The Hierarchical Head of the Church was elevated as Major Archbishop who exercises patriarchal powers and governs the Church assisted by the Holy Synod of Bishops of the Church. The Major Archbishop also assumed the title “Catholicos” according to the Antiochene-Malankara tradition. This is the crowing event of all the ecclesial communion endeavours since 1653. 

On 19 February 2005, Joseph Mar Thomas was consecrated as the Auxiliary Bishop of Trivandrum and the Apostolic Visitor to North America and Europe. On 11 April 2005 the Faculty of Theology of St. Mary’s Malankara Seminary got affiliated to the Pontifical Urbanian University, Rome.

The enthronement of the Major Archbishop-Catholicos as the Father and Head of the Syro-Malankara Catholic Church on 14 May 2005 was officiated by His Eminence Ignace Moussa Cardinal Daoud, the Prefect of the Congregation for the Oriental Churches. His Grace Pedro Lopez Quintana, the Apostolic Nuncio of the Holy Father in India, was present at the enthronement ceremony. The Malankara Major Archiepiscopal Curia (Catholicate Centre) started functioning at the St. Mary’s Campus, Pattom, Trivandrum. On 20 May 2005 His Beatitude Moran Mor Cyril Baselios Catholicos blessed the Curia building. The Catholicos soon constituted the Holy Episcopal Synod. The first Synod of the Syro-Malankara Catholic Church was convened from 16 to 18 August 2005 at the Major Archiepiscopal Curia (Catholicate Centre), Trivandrum.

The first Holy Episcopal Synod constituted the Permanent Synod and the various Synodal Commissions headed by Bishops to take care of various Apostolates of the Church. The official bulletin, MALANKARA, is published from the Catholicate Centre, to communicate the Synodal acts and voice of the Syro-Malankara Major Archiepiscopal Church.

The Platinum Jubilee of the Reunion Movement and the Year of the Eucharist were celebrated jointly at Mar Ivanios Nagar, Punnamoodu, Mavelikara on 19, 20, 21 September 2005. His Grace Pedro Lopez Quintana, the Apostolic Nuncio of the Holy Father in India, Shri Bhaironsingh Shekhawat, the Vice-President of India, and Sri Oommen Chandy, the Chief Minister of Kerala, participated in the celebrations.

By the decrees of the Major Archbishop-Catholicos the Metropolitan Province of Tiruvalla with the Eparchies of Bathery and Muvattupuzha as suffragans, was established on 15 May 2006 and Most Rev. Isaac Mar Cleemis was appointed as the Metropolitan-Archbishop of Tiruvalla. On 10 June 2006 Isaac Mar Cleemis was enthroned as the first Metropolitan-Archbishop of Tiruvalla.

By the decree of the Major Archbishop-Catholicos, on 01 January 2007, the new Eparchy of Mavelikara was erected and His Excellency Joshua Mar Ignathios, The Auxiliary Bishop and protosyncellus of the Major Archdiocese of Trivandrum, was appointed as its first Bishop.

The Second Ordinary Holy Episcopal Synod was convoked on 6-7 December 2006 and it was decided to revive the ministerial titles of Ramban and Corepiscopo which were in vogue in the Church and to honour a few priests for their meritorious service in the Church. His Grace Most Rev. Isaac Mar Cleemis, the Metropolitan Archbishop of Tiruvalla, conferred the titles on Saturday, 13 January 2007 on three priests at St. John’s Cathedral, Tiruvalla and Moran Mor Cyril Baselios Catholicos conferred these titles on priests on 17 Wednesday, 2007 at St. Mary’s Cathedral, Pattom.

On Thursday, 18 January 2007 His Beatitude Moran Mor Cyril Baselios, the first Major Archbishop-Catholicos of the Syro- Malankara Catholic Church slept in the Lord. The mortal remains of the Catholicos was entombed by the side of his great predecessors at St. Mary’s Cathedral, Pattom on 20 January 2007.

His Grace Most Rev. Isaac Mar Cleemis was elected the Second Major Archbishop-Catholicos of the Syro-Malankara Catholic Church through the first Holy Episcopal Synod of election of the Syro Malankara Catholic Church convoked on 7 -10 February 2007 at Catholicate Centre, Pattom, Trivandrum.His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI approved the election on 9 February and it was announced on 10 February at St. Mary’s Cathedral, Pattom.

The installation of His Excellency Most Rev. Joshua Mar Ignathios was held on 16 February, 2007 at Mavelikara and His Excellency Most Rev. Geevarghese Mar Divannasios, the Administrator of The Malankara Catholic Major Archiepiscopal Church presided over the installation ceremony. The new eparchy has a 30825 Syro-Malankara Catholic faithful of a total population of 29,98,325 inhabitants. Of this 269849 are Malankara non- Catholics and 5,98,824 Christians of other denominations.

On Wednesday, 7 February 2007 a long-cherished dream of the Syro-Malankara Catholic Church was realized. The Holy Father Pope Benedict XVI appointed Very Rev. Dr. Chacko Aerath OIC as the Apostolic Visitor with Episcopal status for the Malankara Catholic faithful residing in the Extra-territorial Regions of the Church within India.

Moran Mor Baselios Cleemis was enthroned the Second Major Archbishop-Catholicos of the Syro-Malankara Catholic Church on 5 March 2007 at St. Mary’s Cathedral, Pattom. His installation service was officiated by Most Rev. Geevarghese Mar Divannasios, the Synodal Administrator of the Church. A large number of ecclesiastical and political dignitaries including Cardinal Telesphore Toppo (the President of the CBCI), Cardinal Mar Varkey Vithayathil (Major Archbishop of Syro-Malabar Church) and Sri. V. S. Achuthanandan (the Chief Minister of Kerala) participated in the installation ceremony.

On Saturday, 10 March 2007 Very Rev. Dr. Chacko Aerath OIC was consecrated Bishop by Moran Mor Baselios Cleemis Catholicos and he received the name Jacob Mar Barnabas.

On Monday, 26 March 2007 the Most Rev. Thomas Mar Koorilos was appointed the Second Metropolitan Archbishop of the Archieparchy of Tiruvalla. His installation Ceremony was held on Wednesday, 2 May 2007at St. John’s Cathedral, Tiruvalla. His Beatitude Baselios Cleemis was the main celebrant.

His Beatitude Baselios Cleemis Catholicos visited the Holy Father Pope Benedict XVI on 28 May 2007 at Vatican and received ecclesiastical Communion. The Congregation for the Oriental Churches in Rome gave a warm reception to His Beatitude on his first visit to the Holy See.

On Saturday, 14 July 2007 Moran Mor Baselios Cleemis, Major Archbishop-Catholicos declared Archbishop Mar Ivanios as Servant of God on the basis of the petition submitted by Rev. Fr. Antony Valiyavilayil, the postulator for the cause of canonization of Archbishop Mar Ivanios the Prophet of Reunion Movement..

The 77th Reunion celebrations, the Platinum Jubilee of the Constitution of the Hierarchy of the Malankara Church in Catholic Communion and the Golden Jubilee of the Immigration of the Malankarites to Malabar were celebrated at Kodencherry in the Eparchy of Bathery from 19 -21 September 2007.

On Sunday, 23 September 2007 the 125th birth anniversary of Servant of God Archbishop Mar Ivanios was celebrated at Puthiyakavu, the birth place of the Servant of God in the Eparchy of Mavelikara.

The Silver Jubilee of the Malankara Major Seminary that commenced on Thursday, 29 June 2007 was officially inaugurated on Tuesday, 2 October 2007 by His Beatitude Moran Mor Baselios Cleemis Catholicos and its concluding celebrations were held from 5-8 November 2007. 

In the course of the growth and development of the Syro-Malankara Catholic Church, besides the canonical institutions, various associations such as the Malankara Catholic Youth Movement (MCYM), the Malankara Catholic Association (MCA), the Legion of Mary, Matruvedi, Pithruvedi, and other pious associations have become the backbone of the life of the Church.

Monastic and other religious communities that are founded in the Malankara Catholic Church contribute towards the spiritual enrichment of the Church. Similarly, other Religious Congregations of both men and women founded in other sui iuris Churches are rendering their valuable service in fulfilling the mission of the Malankara Church. The cause of Canonisation of Mar Ivanios, the pioneer of the Reunion Movement is in progress.

 
General Statistics
 
Malankara Catholic Population 408725
Major Archbishop 1
Archbishop 1
Bishops 6
Eparchial Priests 551
Religious
Priests 122
Brothers 10
Students 159
Religious from other Congregations
Priests 21
Religious Brothers 38
Major Seminarians 202
Minor Seminarians 172
Religious Sisters 1808
SIC 835
DM 973
Others 283
Parishes and Mission Stations 921
Institutions
Major Seminary 1
Minor Seminary 7
Pastoral Centres 8
Retreat Centres
Priests Home 6
Colleges 15
Training Schools 20
Technical Institutions 21
Higher Secondary School 26
High Schools 55
U. P. Schools 57
L. P. Schools 204
Nursery Schools 136
Boardings 40
Orphanages 12
Dalit Hostels 2
Hospitals and Health Centres 45
Home for the aged 13
Rehabilitation Centres 8
Printing Centres 7
Book Stalls 5
Publications 8
 
 
History
 
The establishment of Bethany Ashram Pune on 24 October 1955 can be said to be the beginning of the mission of the Malankara Catholic Church outside its canonical territory. From Pune the Bethany Fathers took care of the Malankara Catholic faithful in Mumbai-Pune and other parts of the country. Soon the Malankara Catholics in the other cities of India began to organize themselves as Malankara Catholic Associations. From the beginning of 1970s the Malankara Hierarchy directly took initiative and began sending priests from the Eparchies to these communities.

From 1980 these communities began to be erected canonically as personal parishes in the dioceses where they were registered. The Hierarchy gave further support to them appointing Rev. Fr. John Berchmans OIC in 1997 as the Co-ordinator of the Malankara Catholics outside the territorium proprium. Under his untiring leadership the communities got organized strongly under the banner ?The Malankara Catholic Church Extra Territorial Regions in India (MCCETRI). 

A long cherished dream of the Malankara Catholics of ETRI was realized on February 2007 when Bishop Jacob Mar Barnabas was appointed Apostolic Visitator by Holy Father Pope Benedict XVI. Later the Malankara Catholic Episcopal Synod entrusted the pastoral care of the Malankara Catholic faithful of ETRI to Bishop Jacob Mar Barnabas. Now under the leadership of Bishop Jacob Mar Barnabas, the MCCETRI caters to the needs of the Malankara Catholic flock. The present ETRI includes around 2550 families (approximately 10000 faithful) in 42 parishes/units. 

Thiruvanandapuram

The historic event of the reunion of His Grace Geevarghese Mar Ivanios with the Catholic Church took place on 20 September 1930. In 1932, His Grace Mar Ivanios made his visit to Rome and His Holiness Pope Pius XI invested him with the Sacred Pallium. By the Apostolic Constitution, ?Christo Pastorum Principi? (11 June 1932) the Holy Father Pope Pius XI established the Syro-Malankara Catholic Hierarchy comprising the Metropolitan Eparchy of Trivandrum and the Eparchy of Tiruvalla.
 
On 11 March 1933 Archbishop Mar Ivanios dedicated his provisional Cathedral at Palayam, Trivandrum to the Mother of God and celebrated the solemn Holy Qurbana in the Cathedral on the following day concelebrated by Bishop Jacob Mar Theophilos, the Bishop of Tiruvalla, Rt. Rev. Joseph Pulikottil and Rt. Rev. Philipose Cheppad, Mar Augustine Kandathil, the Archbishop of Ernakulam were present on the occasion. The Apostolic Constitution was executed by Rt. Rev. Maria Benziger, the special deputee of the Holy See.
 
Archbishop Mar Ivanios having made the Profession of Faith before the august assembly of the Bishops, priests and laymen and amidst the acclamations of ?Oxios? (a customary hymn for the occasion) was enthroned as the Metropolitan Archbishop of Trivandrum and the Hierarchical head of the Syro-Malankara Catholic Church.
 
The pioneer of the Re-union movement in Kerala, His Grace Archbishop Mar Ivanios, passed away on 15 of July 1953. A few months before his death, on 29January 1953 he has consecrated Rt. Rev. Benedict Mar Gregorios as his Auxiliary Bishop and as the Titular Bishop of Anterdos.
Upon the demise of His Grace Mar Ivanios, His Excellency Mar Gregorios was made the Apostolic Administrator of the Metropolitan Eparchy of Trivandrum. And on 27 January 1955, His Holiness Pope Pius XII appointed him the Metropolitan Archbishop of Trivandrum.
His Excellency Rt. Rev. Lawrence Mar Ephraem was appointed Auxiliary to the Metropolitan Archbishop of Trivandrum and Titular Bishop of Barkuso on 6 November 1980 and was consecrated on 27 December 1980 at Kottayam during the Golden Jubilee celebration of the Reunion Movement.
 
His Holiness Pope John Paul II blessed us with his historic visit to St. Mary?s Cathedral, Pattom, Trivandrum, on 8 February 1986.
 
His Eminence Cardinal Lourdusamy, the Prefect of the Congregation for the Oriental Churches, visited the Metropolitan Eparchy of Trivandrum on 19 August 1987.
 
His Grace Most Rev. Benedict Mar Gregorios was called for his eternal reward on 10 October 1994 after 41 years of his devoted service. His Excellency Rt. Rev. Lawrence Mar Ephraem, the Proto-Syncellus, was elected the Administrator of the Metropolitan Eparchy of Trivandrum.
 
His Grace Most Rev. Cyril Mar Baselios was appointed Metropolitan Archbishop of Trivandrum and it was announced in public on 29 November 1995. The enthronement of His Grace took place on 14 December 1995 at St. Mary?s Cathedral, Pattom, Trivandrum. As the Metropolitan Archbishop of Trivandrum, His Grace received Sacred Pallium from the Holy Father Pope John Paul II on 9 January 1996 in Vatican.
His Eminence Achille Cardinal Silvestrini, Prefect of the Congregation for the Oriental Churches, visited the Metropolitan Eparchy of Trivandrum, on 12, & 13 of February 1996.
 
His Eminence Josef Cardinal Tomko, prefect of the Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples visited the Archbishop?s House on 2 November 1996.
 
On the request of His Grace Most Rev. Cyril Mar Baselios, Metropolitan Archbishop of Trivandrum, by an Apostolic Bull dated 16 December 1996 His Holiness Pope John Paul II created the Eparchy of Marthandom having bifurcated the Metropolitan Eparchy of Trivandrum, and appointed Most Rev. Lawrence Mar Ephraem as its first Bishop.
 
The new extension building of the Archbishop?s House ?Thirusannidhi? was blessed by His Grace Most Rev. Cyril Mar Baselios on 11& 12 March 1998.
 
His Excellency Rt. Rev. Joshua Mar Ignathios was appointed Auxiliary to the Metropolitan Archbishop of Trivandrum and the titular Bishop of Nigizubitanam on 15 April 1998. His consecration took place on 29 June 1998 at Mar Ivanios College Stadium, Trivandrum.
 
His Excellency Rt. Rev. Paulos Mar Philoxenos, Episcopal Vicar of the Metropolitan Eparchy of Trivandrum passed away on 3 November 1998.
His Excellency Rt. Rev. Dr. Isaac Mar Cleemis was appointed Apostolic Visitor for North America & Europe and Auxiliary to the Metropolitan Archbishop of Trivandrum as the titular Bishop of Chayal on 18 June 2001. His consecration took place on 15 August 2001 at St.Mary?s Malankara Catholic Church, Thirumoolapuram, Tiruvalla. Later, he was appointed bishop of the eparchy of Tiruvalla on 4 September, 2003.
 
His Excellency Rt. Rev. Dr. Joseph Mar Thomas was appointed Apostolic Visitor for North America and Europe, Auxilary Bishop to the Archbishop His Grace Most Rev. Dr. Cyril Mar Baselios of the Archdiocese of Trivandrum and Titular bishop of Silcilibbensis on 8 of February, 2005. His consecration held on 19 February, 2005 at the Metropolitan church, Pattom, Trivandrum.
 
His holiness Pope John Paul II promoted and declared the Syro Malankara Catholic Church to the canonical status of Major Archiepiscopal Church on 10 February 2005 and the Metropolitan Archbishop Most Rev. Cyril Mar Baselios was appointed as its First Major Archbishop ? Catholicos on the same date. The enthronement of the Major Archbishop-Catholicos as the Father and Head of the Syro-Malankara Catholic Church was on 14 May 2005.
 
In view of the decision of the Holy Episcopal Synod of the Malankara Catholic Church the new Eparchy of Mavelikara was erected on 1st January 2007 as per the decree (Prot. No. 1/2007) of His Beatitude Moran Mor Cyril Baselios Catholicos, the Major Archbishop-Catholicos of the Malankara Catholic Church, bifurcating the Major Archdiocese of Trivandrum. His Excellency Most Rev. Joshua Mar Ignathios, the Auxiliary Bishop of Trivandrum was transferred and appointed as the first bishop of the Eparchy of Mavelikara as per the decree (Prot. No. 2/2007) of His Beatitude Moran Mor Cyril Baselios Catholicos, the Major Archbishop-Catholicos of the Malankara Catholic Church. The inauguration of the new Eparchy of Mavelikara and the installation of His Excellency Joshua Mar Ignathios as its first Bishop took place on 16 February 2007 in Mavelikara.
 
On Thursday 18 January 2007 His Beatitude Moran Mor Cyril Baselios, the first Major Archbishop-Catholicos of the Syro-Malankara Catholic Church passed away. On the same day itself, in consultation with the members of the Holy Episcopal Synod of the Malankara Catholic Church, His Excellency Most Rev. Geevarghese Mar Divannasios, the Bishop of the Eparchy of Bathery assumed office as the Synodal Administrator of the Church and the Administrator of the Major Archdiocese of Trivandrum.
 
Thereafter, all the Bishops of the Syro-Malankara Catholic Church, the members of the Synod, assembled for the Synod of Election. On Saturday, 10 February 2007 at 4.30 p.m., the Synodal Administrator of the Malankara Catholic Church announced the unanimous election of His Grace Most Rev. Isaac Mar Cleemis Thottunkal, the then Metropolitan Archbishop of Tiruvalla as the new Major Archbishop-Catholicos. He also announced that the new Catholicos will be known as BASELIOS CLEEMIS. This election was confirmed by the Holy See by letter No. 13.695/07. The installation of His Beatitude Moran Mor Baselios Cleemis as the Major Archbishop-Catholicos took place on 5 March 2007 at St. Mary?s Cathedral, Trivandrum.

Thiruvalla

The Mar Thoma Syrian Christian Community of Kerala was an autonomous Church in the unity of the Catholic Church, ever since its foundation in 52 A. D. by St. Thomas, the Apostle. They remained one body and flourished in the course of years. But in the seventeenth century, due to the intervention of the Portuguese missionaries a schism occurred. A good section of the Syrians eventually became Jacobites under the Patriarch of Antioch. Ever since the schism, attempts at reunion were made. On September 20, 1930 the Reunion Movement took shape with the reunion of two eminent Jacobite Prelates, the late Archbishop Mar Ivanios and late Bishop Jacob Mar Theophilos. It was a triumph of ecumenism as their reunion took place as a Church accepted with its liturgy, customs and jurisdiction. Thus it prepared a way for a complete reunion of the Jacobite-Orthodox Church of Kerala. As the Reunion Movement developed speedily, Pope Pius XI established the Malankara Hierarchy for the reunited people and established the Archdiocese of Trivandrum and the Diocese of Tiruvalla by the Apostolic Constitution, Christo Pastorum Principi dated June 11, 1932. 
 
Accordingly the Diocese of Tiruvalla was established on November 6, 1933 and Rt. Rev. Jacob Mar Theophilos was enthroned as its first Bishop. He was called for his eternal reward on 27 June 1956. His Excellency Most Rev. Thomas Mar Dioscoros Metropolitan reunited with the Malankara Catholic Church from the Knanaya Jacobite Church on 12 November 1939 and led a private life at Thirumoolapuram. He passed away on 21 February 1943. His Excellency Most Rev. Joseph Mar Severios, Metropolitan of the Niranam Diocese of the Orthodox Church reunited with the Malankara Catholic Chuch on November 29, 1937. Due to the ill-health of Mar Theophilos the Holy See appointed His Excellency Joseph Mar Severios as the Apostolic Administrator of the Diocese of Tiruvalla in 1938. He was appointed as the Bishop of the diocese of Tiruvalla in 1951. He was given the honorary title ?Archbishop-bishop? by the Holy See. He was called for his eternal rest on 18 January 1955. The Holy See appointed Reverend Father Cherian Polachirackal as Auxiliary to the Bishop of Tiruvalla. His consecration was on 22 April 1954 and he took the name Zacharias Mar Athanasios. The Diocese was extended from the river Pampa in the south to the river Ponnani in the north and from the Arabian Sea in the west to the Western Ghats in the east. 
 
The Diocese was further extended to the north from the river Ponnani by the decree of the Sacred Congregation for the Oriental Churches, by Prot N.534/43 dated 14 February 1958 and brought under it the whole of Malabar region of Kerala, the civil districts of Coimbatore and Nilgiris and Karoor Taluk in Triuchirappally District of Tamil Nadu and the districts of Mysore, Mandya, Coorg, Hassan, Chickamangalore, Shimoga and South Kanara of Karnataka State. His Excellency Zacharias Mar Athanasios entered into eternal rest on 28 September 1977. Rt. Rev. Msgr. Mathew Nedungattu was elected the Administrator. His Holiness Pope John Paul II by the Apostolic Constitution of October 1978 separating the civil districts of Malappuram, Kozhikode and Kannoor of Kerala, Nilgiris of Tamil Nadu and Coorg, Mysore, Mandya, Hassan, South Kanara, Chickamangalore and Shimoga of Karnataka from the diocese of Tiruvalla, established the new diocese of Bathery and appointed His Excellency Most Rev. Cyril Mar Baselios (Very Rev. Dr. Cyril Malancharuvil OIC, the then Superior General of Bethany) as its first Bishop. The official inauguration of the Diocese was on 2 February 1979. Very Rev. Fr. Isaac Koottaplackal was appointed bishop of Tiruvalla to succeed His Excellency Most Rev. Zacharias Mar Athanasios. His consecration took place on 28 December 1978 at Mar Ivanios Nagar, Thirumoolapuram and he received the name Isaac Mar Yoohanon. His Holiness Pope John Paul II sent His Eminence Cardinal Wadislaw Rubin, the Prefect of Sacred Congregation for the Oriental Churches as his delegate to the Golden Jubilee celebration of the Reunion Movement, held in December 1980 at Kottayam in the diocese of Tiruvalla. The Golden Jubilee of the establishment of the diocese was celebrated in January 1984 at St. John?s Cathedral, Tiruvalla. Mar Yoohanon was called for eternal peace on 28 April 1987. Rev. Fr. George Chundevalel was elected the Administrator who later was appointed the bishop of the diocese with the name Geevarghese Mar Timotheos. His consecration took place on 6 August 1988 at St. John?s Cathedral, Tiruvalla. His Eminence Achille Cardinal Silvestrini, the Prefect of the Congregation for the Oriental Churches visited the diocese in February 1996. Rev. Fr. Mammen Chackalapadickal was appointed Auxiliary to the Bishop of Tiruvalla. He was consecrated Bishop on the 17 July 1997 at St. John?s Cathedral, Tiruvalla with the name Thomas Mar Koorilos.
 
The septuagenial of the Reunion Movement was celebrated at Tiruvalla on 27 December 2000. The Patriarch of the Syrian Catholics in Antioch and the present Prefect of the Congregation for the Oriental Churches, His Eminence Cardinal Ignace Moussa Daoud was the chief guest. His Holiness Pope John Paul II bifurcated the diocese of Tiruvalla and established the new Diocese of Muvattupuzha, which includes the revenue Districts of Ernakulum, Thrissur and Palakkad of Kerala. The new diocese was inaugurated on 6 February 2003 and His Excellency Most Rev. Dr. Thomas Mar Koorilos was appointed by the Holy Father as the first Bishop of Muvattupuzha. On 29 March 2003 the Holy See accepted the resignation of His Excellency Geevarghese Mar Timotheos from the diocesan administration due to super-annuation. Rev. Dr. Stephen Thottathil was elected the Administrator.
 
The Holy See appointed His Excellency Most Rev. Dr. Thomas Mar Koorilos (the then Apostolic Visitor of North America and Europe and the Auxiliary Bishop of Trivandrum) as the sixth Bishop of the Catholic Diocese of Tiruvalla on 11 September 2003. His Excellency Thomas Mar Koorilos took charge of the Diocese on 2 October 2003 at St. John?s Cathedral, Tiruvalla. The newly built St. John?s Cathedral was consecrated on 20 and 21 of September 2004 by His Grace Cyril Mar Baselios, the Metropolitan Archbishop of the Malankara Catholic Church. His Eminence Cardinal Ignace Moussa Daoud paid a visit to the Diocese on 12 May 2005. The Holy Episcopal Synod of the Malankara Catholic Church decided on 3 December 2005 to elevate the Diocese of Tiruvalla to the status of an Archdiocese with the Dioceses of Bathery and Muvattupuzha as its suffragans, and the Bishop of Tiruvalla as Metropolitan Archbishop. With the consent and blessings from the Holy See, His Beatitude Moran Mor Cyril Baselios Catholicos, the Major Archbishop of the Malankara Catholic Church, announced the proclamation on 15 May 2006 at St. John?s Cathedral, Tiruvalla. His Grace Most Rev. Dr. Isaac Mar Cleemis was installed as the first Metropolitan Archbishop of the Archdiocese of Tiruvalla on 10 June 2006 at St. John?s Metropolitan Cathedral, Tiruvalla. His Beatitude Cyril Baselios the Major Archbishop-Catholicos was the main Celebrant and about thirty Bishops and a galaxy of civil and social leaders and thousands of faithful participated in the Installation Ceremony. Thus the second Metropolitan Province of the Malankara Catholic Church came into existence on 10 June 2006. When His Beatitude Moran Mor Cyril Baselios Catholicos was called for eternal peace, the Holy Synod elected His Grace Isaac Mar Cleemis, the Metropolitan Archbishop of Tiruvalla, as the Major Archbishop-Catholicos of the Malankara Catholic church. Since the See of Tiruvalla was vacant Rt. Rev. Msgr. Cherian Ramanalil Corepiscopa was appointed Administrator of the Archdiocese.
 
Most Rev. Thomas Mar Koorilos, the Metropolitan of Muvattupuzha was appointed the Second Metropolitan Archbishop of Tiruvalla on Monday, 26 March and his installation ceremony was held on Wednesday, 2 May 2007 at St. John?s Metropolitan Cathedral, Tiruvalla. 
Orphanages : 4

    Boys : Nalanchira, Chemboor
    Girls : Nellimoodu, Nalanchira

 Dalit Boys Hostel

    Malankara Boys Home, Karammoodu 

 Hospitals

    St. Joseph?s Hospital, Anchal
    St. John?s Hospital, Pirappencode
    Jayamatha Hospital,Odanavattom 
    Vimala Hospital, Carmala
    St. Joseph?s Hospital, Chozhiakode
    Nature Cure Centre, Nalanchira
    St. Vincent?s Diabetic Centre, Pattom

 Dispensaries

    Uthimoodu Pulayanarkotta
    Chalai Cheeckanal

 Home for Aged

    Pathanamthitta Nedumangad
    Pothencode Kuravankonam

 Home for Sick

    Snehasadan, Trivandrum 

 Rehabilitation Centres

    HIV/AIDS Rehabilitation Centre, Pirappencode
    Bethsaida, Kuriode
    TB Centre, Pulayanarkotta
    Bethania, Kumarapuram  
 

 Minor Seminary 

    St. Aloysius Minor Seminary, Bethany Hills, Nalanchira, Trivandrum-695015
    Rector : Very Rev. Fr. Jose Chamakalayil

 Pastoral Centre 

    Cheppadu Philippose Ramban Pastoral Education Centre, 
    Kuravankonam, Trivandrum - 3.
    Director : Rev. Fr. Joseph Poovathumtharayil 

 Priest Homes 

    Clergy House, Kesavadasapuram, Tvm-4
    Good Samaritan Home, Medical College PO., Tvm-11
    Director : Rev. Fr. Thomas Puthuparampil

 Mission Training Centre 

    Missiological - Theological Institute, Nalanchira 
    Director : Rev. Sr. Dr. Namitha SIC
Colleges 

    Mar Ivanios College, Nalanchira P.O., Trivandrum - 15
    Principal : Rev. Dr. Mathew Manakkarakkavil 
    Mar Theophilos College, Nalanchira P.O., Trivandrum - 15
    Principal : Rev. Sr. A. Mercykutty SIC (Sr. Karunya SIC) 
    Mar Gregorios College, Chennai
    Principal : Dr. V.J.Mathew 
    Mar Baselios College of Engineering and Technology, TVM-15
    Principal : Prof. Dr. V.K. Sebastian 
    Mar Baselios Institute of Technology, Anchal P.O., Kollam
    Principal : Dr. Sainy Soman 

 Training Schools 

    St. Mary?s TTI, Pattom P.O., Trivandrum-4
    Sacred Heart TTI, Mylapra Town P.O., Pathanamthitta-689 678.

 Technical Institutions 

    Mar Ivanios ITC, Seethathode, Pathanamthitta - 689 667.
    Mar Baselios ITC, Chandanappally, Pathanamthitta - 689 648.
    Bethany ITC, Nedumangad, Trivandrum.
    Jayamatha ITC, Nalanchira P.O., Trivandrum-15

 Higher Secondary Schools 

    St. Mary?s H.S.S., Pattom P.O., Trivandrum - 695 004.
    St. John?s H.S.S., Nalanchira P.O., Trivandrum - 695 015.
    St. Mary?s H.S.S., Kizhakketheruvu P.O.-691 542 (Un-Aided).
    S.H.H.S.S., Mylapra Town P.O., Pathanamthitta (Un-Aided).
    St.Goretti?s G.H.S.S., Nalanchira P.O., Trivandrum-15 (Un-Aided).
    S.C.G.H.S.S., Nellimoodu P.O., Trivandrum - 695 524 (Un-Aided).
    St. Thomas Higher Secondary School, Ayodhya Nagar, Bhopal.
    Sacred Heart Matriculation H.S.,Padi, Chennai - 600 050.

 High Schools 

    SAVHS, Angamoozhy
    BMGHS, Kulathupuzha
    ABHS, Omalloor
    St. Benedict?s HS, Thannithode
    St Mary?s GHS, Kayamkulam
    St. Thomas School, Subhash Nagar, Bhopal
    Holy Angel?s HS, Adoor (Un-Aided)
    Mount Bethany HS, Mylapra (Un-Aided)
    Nazareth Home, Balaramapuram (Un-Aided)
    Sarvodaya School, Nalanchira (Un-Aided)
    St. John?s School, Anchal (Un-Aided)
    Viswadeepthi English Medium School, Kattakkada (Un-Aided)
    Mar Ivanios School, Kalayapuram (Un-Aided)
    Bethany Navajeevan School, Nalanchira (Un-Aided)

 Upper Primary Schools 

    St. Johns? UPS, Anchamada
    St. Rita?s UPS, Aruviode
    St. Ephraem?s UPS, Cheruvackal
    St. Thomas UPS, Kakkadu (Perunad)
    St. Peter?s UPS, Kodumon
    MSC UPS, Kottamonpara
    TEM UPS, Peroorkada
    St. Mary?s UPS, Piravanthoor
    St. Thomas UPS, Pothencode
    St. Mary?s UPS, Thonniamala
    St. Thomas? UPS, Vakayar
    St. Joseph?s UPS, Venniyoor
    UPS, Parassala
    Infant Jesus UPS, Kuravankonam (Un-Aided)
    St. Theresa?s UPS, Kalayapuram (Un-Aided)
    Mar Gregorios UPS, Pravachambalam (Un-Aided)
    St. Mary?s, Kulathupuzha (Un-Aided)
    St. Joseph?s English Medium School, Chemboor (Un-Aided)
    Mar Baselios School, Amboori (Un-Aided)

 Lower Primary Schools (Aided) : 35

 Lower Primary Schools (Unaided) : 82

 Nursery Schools (Unaided) : 65

 Boardings : 19

    Boys : 6

    Girls : 13

 Press and Vocational Training Centres 

    St. Mary?s Press (RACHANA) and Vocational Training Institute, Pattom.
    Jayamatha Press and Vocational Training Institute, Nalanchira.
    Bethany Press and Vocational Training Institute, Nedumangad.

 Book Stalls 

    St. Ignatius Centre, Pattom
    St. Mary?s Book Stall, Pattom
    Bethany Book Stall, Nalanchira

 Publications 

    Christhava Kahalam (Monthly)
    Malankara Balan (Monthly)
    Major Archdiocesan Bullettin (Monthly) 
                                                                                               © Copyright 1998 Indian Christianity. All rights reserved.